Watch out Madagascar, Andrew – eldest of the Midgley clan – just turned thirteen today! And in honour of the occasion I dug out some old photos of this brand new teenager going back to 2009! I don’t know what special privileges, if any, the age brings – but whatever the case, have a wonderful day, Andy!
And, as I’m not there for your birthday I’d like to leave seven bits of advice for you to carry with you into your teen years:
- Life can be very deep, so try to stay at the shallow end;
- It’s easier to learn many things if you first learn to learn;
- The really great people are the ones who know how to make the little people feel great. Be that person to your brothers – they’ll always be younger than you no matter how old you turn.
- Keep souvenirs of your teen years, or how will you ever prove they weren’t a dream?
- There are teenagers and there are teen-@#*?!?#-agers. Be the former;
- Being a teenager is very simple, or very complicated, or neither, or both. Remember that; and
- The funniest thing about some teenagers is that they have no sense of humour. Keep yours. Or find it. Whichever.
In 2009 with a lemur
2009 again – you’ll regret pulling that face one day. Like today perhaps, when the rest of the world gets to see it.
And this one. What’s with the tongue, boy?
Evil despot 2010
A few weeks before turning 13 … (June 2012)
This is what I had to say to Andy on his 12th birthday last year.